Vistas a la página totales

jueves, 26 de agosto de 2010

Mediterranean Fish Casserole



Hi again!!  The other day my demanding husband, bought me one of several new cook books that he has already purchased for me. It is called Mmmm Casseroles (Love Food from Parragon Books) and is  guaranteed to give you delicious and irresistible recipes (He thinks our house is a restaurant where you can try new recipes all the time). I decided to reward my good readers with this wonderful mediterranean fish casserole (the picture was tempting), which has already been tried  by me and my family.  The only problem with me is that being a good cook myself (I am blowing the tips of my fingers!!), I am not a faithful follower and what I will give you, according to me, is an improved version of the original recipe. 

Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet and fry one red onion with 2 chopped garlic cloves, until they start to soften.  Add to the skillet, two red bell peppers, seeded and chopped, and continue to cook over low heat for an additional 5 mins.  Add 14 oz canned chopped tomatoes ( I added 2 fresh peeled and chopped tomatoes and about a cup of tomato sauce...didn't have the can...it was an emergency!), fresh oregano, and a few saffron strands (didn't have it either, so I added a packet of Goya Seasoning with Saffron...works perfect) and me...I added some chopped cilantro sprigs from my yard (fresh!).
In a separate pan, I boiled some mixed seafood (about half a pound that comes in frozen bags), and about 2 handfuls of peeled and deveined shrimp... Only until they turn red).  I reserved the stock.
The recipe calls for one pound  and a half of whitefish chunks, but I used catfish ( you can use any firm fish you prefer) and one pound and a half of prepared squid cut into rings ( I used the canned squid...one can). Place the fish in a large casserole, with the squid and all the rest of the seafood.  Pour in the vegetable mixture and 1 and1/4 cups of stock; stir well, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until de fish is tender and cooked through. Add the shrimp, and heat through (Be careful not to uncover the casserole with all your hands on it...wait until some of the steam escapes.
Spoon into warmed bowls, garnished with some whole shrimps which have been reserved, and the parsley.  Serve immediately with crusty bread to mop up the casserole juices.    Mmmmm!!!!
We were in heaven while we ate it!!! Good for stimulating  aaaallll your senses!!!

No hay comentarios.: